The Secretariat works all over the Commonwealth, to:
- protect the environment and encourage sustainable use of natural resources on land and sea
- boost trade and the economy
- support democracy, government and the rule of law
- develop society and young people, including gender equality, education, health and sport
- support small states, helping them tackle the particular challenges they face.
The Commonwealth Fund for Technical Co-operation (CFTC) is the main way that the Commonwealth Secretariat provides technical help to Commonwealth countries. We make sure the help we offer is driven by what countries tell us they need.