The Commonwealth is an association of 56 countries working towards shared goals of prosperity, democracy and peace. The Commonwealth Secretariat is the intergovernmental organisation which co-ordinates and carries out much of the Commonwealth's work, supported by a network of more than 80 organisations.
The Secretariat works all over the Commonwealth, to:
- protect the environment and encourage sustainable use of natural resources on land and sea
- boost trade and the economy
- support democracy, government and the rule of law
- develop society and young people, including gender equality, education, health and sport
- support small states, helping them tackle the particular challenges they face.
The Commonwealth Fund for Technical Co-operation (CFTC) is the main way that the Commonwealth Secretariat provides technical help to Commonwealth countries. We make sure the help we offer is driven by what countries tell us they need.
Download the Commonwealth Secretariat Strategic Plan 2021/22 - 2024/25