On Wednesday, 7 February 2024, the Commonwealth Secretariat will host an hour-long online event to launch a partnership with the Association of African Universities (AAU), OBREAL Global and Symbiosis International University.
Together, they will be embarking on a 5-year initiative to encourage university students to use artificial intelligence (AI) to tackle some of the world’s most difficult challenges.
During the online event, the stakeholders will discuss how this programme can be transformative to the young people involved and contribute significantly to the development of solutions that support sustainable development. They will also explore leveraging higher education institutions as a source for innovative and socially responsible technology solutions.
A two-phase call for proposals, beginning in February 2024, will be issued so that university students can benefit from funding, mentorship and guidance from the Commonwealth Secretariat, the Association of African Universities, Obreal Global, Symbiosis International University and leading technology companies globally.
- Suresh Yadav, Deputy Chief of Staff, Commonwealth Secretariat
- Rt Hon Patricia Scotland KC, Commonwealth Secretary-General
- Professor Ramon Torrent, President, OBREAL Global
- Professor Olusola B. Oyewole, Secretary-General, Association of African Universities
- Dr Vidya Yeravdekar Pro Chancellor of Symbiosis International University
- Dr Arjoon Suddhoo, Deputy Secretary-General, Commonwealth Secretariat