The Commonwealth Secretariat and the Caribbean Telecommunications Union (CTU) will co-host a three-day workshop to train government officials from the Caribbean in developing sound legal frameworks that boost the digital economy.
Taking place in Barbados from 13-15 February 2023, the workshop aims to build the capacity of policymakers and legal officials in all aspects of an effective legislative framework for the digital economy, ranging from digital finance, data protection and consumer rights to regional harmonisation and international standards.
Participants will also gain insights from leading experts from international agencies on good practices, standards and regulations which governments should consider in the development of resilient and sustainable digital legislative frameworks.
The workshop is a joint initiative of the Digital Connectivity Cluster of the Commonwealth Connectivity Agenda, which focuses on supporting inclusive digital transformation across the Commonwealth, and CTU, which promotes collaboration among ICT (Information and Communications Technology) stakeholders and serves as a facilitator for the formulation of ICT policies across the Caribbean.
- Chris Southworth, Secretary General of the International Chamber of Commerce
- Nigel Cassimire, Deputy Secretary General and Head of the Regional Policy Development, CTU
- Nievia Ramsundar, Executive Director and CEO, CARICOM Competition Commission
- Mohammed Owais Khan, Adviser, Regulatory Framework, Commonwealth Connectivity Agenda
- Sofie Maddens, Head of the Regulatory and Market Environment, International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Mark Wensley, Digital Advisor to the UN’s Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
- Helen Gradstein, Regional Digital Finance Specialist – Caribbean (UNCDF)
- Dr. Luca Castellani, Legal Officer, Secretary of Working Group IV (Electronic Commerce), UNCITRAL
- Anselm Charles, Information and Communications Technology Manager, CARICOM Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (IMPACS)
- Cindy Parokkil, International Policy Manager, British Standards Institution
- Regan Asgarali, Controller of Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Office of Trinidad and Tobago
- Vashti Maharaj, Digital Trade Policy Adviser with the Commonwealth Connectivity Agenda, Commonwealth Secretariat
The target audience for the training workshop includes policymakers, governmental officials, senior ICT officials and technocrats as well as legal reform officers [Office of the Attorney General] involved in the information and communications technology and the digital trade/economy spheres.
- Date: 13-15 February 2023
- Location: Barbados
For further information, please visit this page or contact:
Ms Francola John
Stakeholder Engagement and Events Specialist, Caribbean Telecommunications Union
Email: [email protected]