Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland's statement on receiving news that the Maldives Government has today decided to leave the Commonwealth.
Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland said:
“I have received news that the Maldives Government has today decided to leave the Commonwealth.
“The Commonwealth family at large – its member governments and its peoples worldwide – will share my sadness and disappointment at this decision.
“The Commonwealth Charter reflects the commitment of our member states to democracy and human rights, development and growth, and diversity. We will continue to champion these values and to support all member states, especially small and developing states, in upholding and advancing these practically for the enduring benefit of their citizens.
“Therefore, we hope that this will be a temporary separation and that Maldives will feel able to return to the Commonwealth family and all that it represents in due course.”
- Concluding Statement of CMAG - Sep 2016
- Commonwealth special envoy concludes first visit to Maldives - Aug 2016
- Kenyan Chief Justice Mutunga appointed as Special Envoy to Maldives - Jun 2016
- Concluding Statement of CMAG - Apr 2016
- Concluding Statement of the Extraordinary Meeting of CMAG - Feb 2016
- Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group delegation to visit Maldives - Feb 2016