We, the Heads of the international election observation and expert missions in Kenya, have been following preparations for the 9 August 2022 general elections by all stakeholders in Kenya, including the campaign activities of political parties, party coalitions, and candidates.
We call on the leadership of all political parties and their supporters, as well as civil society, faith-based organisations, and all other stakeholders, to ensure a continuation of the calm and peaceful atmosphere during the remaining phases of the electoral process.
We also call on all those with a specific mandate to the 9 August elections to conduct their responsibilities with the utmost diligence and transparency; as well as compliance with the legal framework of Kenya and the country’s international obligations and commitments for democratic elections. Lastly, we urge all stakeholders and citizens to pursue any grievances that may occur peacefully and through the established legal channels.
As we continue observing the electoral preparations across the country, we stand in solidarity with the people of Kenya in their desire for peaceful and credible elections.
- Joint AU-COMESA Election Observation Mission – His Excellency Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma, Former President of Sierra Leone.
- Carter Center Election Expert Mission – Ben Graham Jones, Team Leader.
- Commonwealth Observer Group – His Excellency Bruce Golding, Former Prime Minister of Jamaica.
- EISA Election Observation Mission – His Excellency Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Former President of Nigeria
- EU Election Observation Mission – Honourable Ivan Stefanec, Member of the European Parliament.
- IGAD Election Observation Mission – His Excellency Dr. Mulatu Teshome, Former President of Ethiopia.
- IRI/NDI Election Observation Mission – His Excellency Joaquim Chissano, Former President of Mozambique.
- Temitope Kalejaiye Assistant Research and Communications Officer, Commonwealth Secretariat
- +44 7423 353835 | E-mail