The Commonwealth Secretariat's Human Rights Unit will host a webinar on 2 December to examine effective solutions for eliminating all forms of discrimination faced by people with disabilities when engaging with police in Africa.
Organised in partnership with the Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General on Disability and Accessibility, the webinar takes place a day before International Day of Persons with Disabilities, observed on 3 December every year since 1992.
The webinar will bring together parliamentarians, government officials, legal experts, police officers, development specialists, national human rights institutions and disabled people’s organisations to highlight the barriers faced by persons with disabilities in dealing with the law enforcement community in Africa.
The webinar aims to raise awareness of inclusive police services and practices for people with disabilities. Participants will unpack a series of effective solutions that could be implemented in Africa to ensure police officers take the necessary steps to fully recognise and meet the needs of people with disabilities, without any discrimination and in line with their human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- Dr Shavana Haythornthwaite, Adviser and Head of the Human Rights Unit at the Commonwealth Secretariat
- Professor María Soledad Cisternas Reyes, Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General on Disability and Accessibility
- Anne Wafula Strike MBE, Commonwealth Champion for Equality in Sports
- Hon. Wilma Susan Newhoudt-Druchen, Member of the National Assembly and Member of the Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services, South Africa
- Hon. Marie Claire Mukasine, Chairperson, Rwanda National Commission for Human Rights
- Ms Thandiwe Mfulo, Deputy Secretary-General, Disabled People South Africa, and Africa Representative of the Executive Committee, Commonwealth Disabled People’s Forum
- Maureen Pino Dreckmann, Legal Assistant to the Special Envoy of the Secretary General of the United Nations on Disability and Accessibility
- Gertrude Oforiwa Fefoame, Global Advocacy Advisor (Social Inclusion), Sightsavers; Member, United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and President, International Council for Education of People with Visual Impairment
- Date: Friday, 2 December
- Time: 14h00 London
- Venue: Zoom webinar
The webinar is open to members of the public.