The Commonwealth Secretariat and the British Red Cross are hosting a seminar in London on 23 May 2023 on voluntary reporting on the domestic implementation of international humanitarian law (IHL).
IHL serves to regulate the conduct of internal and international armed conflicts with the aim of protecting civilians and non-combatants.
While all 56 Commonwealth countries are parties to the 1949 Geneva Conventions and other related treaties for the protection of war victims, some nations have yet to incorporate these crucial provisions of IHL into their domestic laws.
This policy-influencing seminar will provide a platform for participants to discuss the advantages and methods of adopting international humanitarian law at the national level.
Distinguished speakers from different Commonwealth regions will highlight the benefits that have emerged from the voluntary reporting carried out by their respective countries on the implementation of IHL.
In addition, countries that have already published their reports will have an opportunity to share their experiences and offer information about relevant resources that could assist others in preparing their submissions.
The discussions aim to help identify best practices for voluntary reporting, enhance understanding of IHL among countries and ultimately promote effective implementation of its rules.
- Professor Luis Franceschi, Assistant Secretary-General, Commonwealth Secretariat (chair)
- Delia Chatoor, retired member of Trinidad and Tobago’s Diplomatic Service and former International Committee of the Red Cross delegate for the Caribbean region
- Jane Collins, Legal Adviser, General International Law Unit, Legal Division, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, New Zealand
- Lulu Hayanga, Deputy Chief State Counsel, International Law Division, Office of the Attorney General and Department of Justice, Kenya
- Andrew Murdoch, Legal Director, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, and Chair, UK National Committee on International Humanitarian Law
- Olatunde Olayemi, Programme Officer, Humanitarian Affairs and Human Security Division, ECOWAS Commission
- Dr Philip Spoerri, Head of Regional Delegation for the UK and Ireland, International Committee of the Red Cross
Venue: Marlborough House, London, UK
Date: Tuesday, 23 May 2023
Time: 4:30 pm London Time
Please register by Friday, 19 May 2023 to attend.