The Commonwealth Secretariat’s Rule of Law Section is hosting a conference in Papua New Guinea from 7 to 9 February 2023 on tackling cybercrime in the Pacific region.
The conference will be held in the capital Port Moresby to allow judicial officers, namely judges and senior magistrates, from Commonwealth member countries in the Pacific region to:
- share experiences on the types, trends, scale and impact of cybercrime in the region;
- exchange views on judicial sector cybersecurity governance frameworks that are required to mitigate cybersecurity threats faced by judiciaries in the region; and
- identify legal, policy, institutional and practice solutions as well as multilateral frameworks required to address cybercrime in the region, including on accessing electronic evidence across borders.
Furthermore, the conference will contribute to the development of effective jurisprudence and a network of judicial officers with expertise in cybercrime.
The Secretariat’s Rule of Law Section is delivering the conference in collaboration with the Papua New Guinea Centre for Judicial Excellence (PNGCJE), the Pacific Islands Law Officers Network (PILON), the UK’s National Cybercrime Agency (NCA), the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), the Judicial Training Institute England and Wales, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), UN Women, the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL), the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and Meta.
The conference features a distinguished line-up of speakers, including:
- Hon Sir Gibuma Gibbs Salika, Chief Justice, Papua New Guinea
- Hon Pila Kole Niningi, Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Papua New Guinea
- Hon Su’a Hellene Wallwork, Attorney General of Samoa and Executive Chair, Pacific Islands Law Officers Network (PILON)
- Hon Linda Folaumoetu’I, Attorney General of Tonga and Chair of the PILON Cybercrime Working Group
- Justice Mark Weekes, Judicial Training Institute England and Wales
- Date: 7-9 February 2023
- Time: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Local Time
- Location: Papua New Guinea
- Venue: Hilton Hotel Port Moresby
For further information, please contact:
Ms Emma Beckles - Programme Officer, Rule of Law, Commonwealth Secretariat, Email