October 2022 is being celebrated as Black History Month in the UK under the theme: “Time for Change: Actions not Words.”
The main objective of Black History Month is to celebrate the achievements and contributions of black people to British Society and the world, and to educate the public and build awareness of Black history.
The Commonwealth Secretariat will join the celebrations by hosting a series of activities throughout the month of October. You are cordially invited to the first activity which is a fireside chat captioned Black History in the Making, a webinar session spotlighting a diverse group of everyday people of colour who are making amazing contributions to black history. Our distinguished panel of speakers will span different ages, Commonwealth countries, gender, and industries. During the virtual session, these trailblazers will share how they live their lives daily to shape Black History, what inspires them to do so and how they overcome challenges along the way.
- Curtis J. Raynold, Principal Consultant, Curtis Raynold Consulting, LLC & Former Secretary, UN Secretary-General’s Advisory Board on Disarmament Matters
- Natricia Duncan, Senior Communications and Engagement Officer, Social Policy Development, Commonwealth Secretariat
- Jamaal Brathwaite, Founder & CEO at Jobseekrs
- Nancy Iraba, Program Manager, Oceans without Borders, Tanzania
- Benjamin Fraser, Attorney-at-Law, Jamaica
The event will be held on Friday 7th October 2022 at 3:00pm – 4:30pm UK time. Please place in your calendar to ensure that you don’t miss out.