The Commonwealth Secretary-General is responsible for:
- promoting and protecting the Commonwealth’s values
- representing the Commonwealth publicly
- the management of the Commonwealth Secretariat.
The Secretary-General is nominated by Commonwealth leaders and can serve a maximum of 2 terms of 4 years each.
The Rt Hon Patricia Scotland QC is the current Commonwealth Secretary-General.
Profile and news from Secretary-General The Rt Hon Patricia Scotland QC
Former Commonwealth Secretaries-General
- Kamalesh Sharma of India (2008-2016)
- Don McKinnon of New Zealand (2000-2008)
- Chief Emeka Anyaoku of Nigeria (1990-2000)
- Sir Shridath ‘Sonny’ Ramphal of Guyana (1975-1990)
- Arnold Smith of Canada (1965-1975)