The Constitutional Appointments Authority Appointment of Puisne Judge
A vacancy exists for the post of Puisne Judge in the Supreme Court of Seychelles. The judge is to be appointed to the Civil and Commercial Division.
Applications are invited from persons who are qualified under Article 126(1) of the Constitution of Seychelles.
A person is qualified for appointment as judge if –
- The person has been entitled to practice before a court of unlimited original jurisdiction for not less than seven years; and
- In the opinion of the Constitutional Appointments Authority, the person has shown outstanding distinction in the practice of law and can effectively, competently and impartially discharge the functions of the office of a Judge under the Constitution.
The Constitutional Appointments Authority reproduces further criteria that the Judiciary is looking for in an applicant:
The applicant must have:
- Academic- an LLB or an equivalent recognised degree in law; a masters in law is desirable;
- Knowledge and experience of civil and commercial law particularly with experience of more sophisticated jurisdictions. Experience in mixed jurisdictions and previous judicial experience are desirable;
- Excellent written and communication skills (fluency in English necessary, fluency in French desirable);
- Demonstrable competence to perform the functions of a judicial officer including appropriate personal skills, adequate cultural and legal knowledge, analytical capacities and a proven ability to reason and make decisions
Candidates must not have any previous criminal convictions besides minor (traffic) offences. Candidates who have been removed from the role of Attorneys in any country for misconduct shall not be eligible.
The candidate shall adhere to the provisions of the Constitution and the Judicial Code of Ethics. Both documents can be accessed on https://seylii.org/
The salary, pension, gratuity, allowances and benefits attached to the post are set out in Section 9(1) of the Judiciary Act No. 9 of 2008, as amended by Acts 16 of 2009 and 28 of 2013.
Applications should reach the office of the Chairman of the Constitutional Appointments Authority on or before 31 October 2018.
La Ciotat Building
P. O. Box 1087